Sefton Sea Anglers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  HomeHome  

Where have all the fish gone?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
richie

richie

Where have all the fish gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where have all the fish gone?   Where have all the fish gone? Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2010, 20:12

Keith has asked to me to put this email reply to him on the website...

From: Enquiries, Unit [mailto:enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk]
Sent: 05 February 2010 14:20
To: Gray, Keith
Subject: REF T100203NV/10: River Mersey

Dear Keith

Thank you for your enquiry about fishing on the River Mersey.

I have contacted the local Fisheries team and the Environmental Monitoring team. They have reported there are no known problems and fish stocks are increasing in the river.

An Environment Agency boat regularly takes samples from the Mersey Estuary as part of our statutory requirement. This is to show that the Estuary is not deteriorating and does not mean there are any problems.

If you should see any incidents related to fish these can to be reported to our 24-hour Incident Communication Service on 0800 80 70 60. Examples of these include:
illegal fishing activities (eg. unlicensed anglers, use of illegal netting equipment, fishing during the closed season);
fish poaching;
large numbers of dead fish in watercourses or other controlled waters (one dead fish isn't usually a sign of an incident);
large numbers of fish in distress (eg. jumping out of the water, gasping for air);
fish with signs of disease;
invasive species invading watercourses eg. algal bloom on the water's surface;
pollution in watercourses.
You may be interested in visiting the fishing section on our website at the link below for the latest fishing news and information:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/default.aspx

If you have any further enquiries please call us on 08708 506506 between the hours of 8:00am-6:00pm (Mon - Fri).

Kind regards

Nicola Vaughan
Customer Service Advisor
National Customer Contact Centre
08708 506506
Back to top Go down
Tim S

Tim S

PostSubject: Fish gone   Where have all the fish gone? Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 21:14

Hi mate just to let you know Martin and myself are going to fish Sunday, weather permitting i will ring you soon to confirm. Tim P S. Yes it was Barry.
Back to top Go down
keith g

keith g

PostSubject: Re: Where have all the fish gone?   Where have all the fish gone? Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 07:36

tim
presume u were speaking to barry,,,,five out of 12 of their boats blanked on sunday,,,but we had crab on saturday and fished in the same place as were their cod were caught! i spoke to phil yesterday, he said fishing carp as What a Face well for them....
Back to top Go down
Tim S

Tim S

PostSubject: Fish gone   Where have all the fish gone? Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2010, 19:25

Hi Keith I was speaking to an old friend today a good angler he was saying that the fish could be feeding on the smaller fish/ sprats in the river and not interested in worm baits. Also fish caught on Sunday in the river were caught on crab baits, and that they also blanked same as are crews. Tim
Back to top Go down
keith g

keith g

PostSubject: Re: Where have all the fish gone?   Where have all the fish gone? Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2010, 07:50

Eddie
that seems to be the norm this year,,,very few fish on the charters as well as the small boats....are the charters telling you its crap before you board?
Not that long ago when i fished the beach on a regular basis, we used to cherish the winter cos the whiting were in...you couldnt fail to catch, it was brill!
Now we cant even get one whiting insize.....As Tim said, last summer was the best for me personally for at least the last 10 years...now the winter is crud...is this what we have to expect in future or not? Suspect i personally have never seen the fishing so bad in the winter for the last 15-20 years! its scary the complete lack of even undersize fish pale pale pale
Back to top Go down
eddie

eddie

PostSubject: Re: Where have all the fish gone?   Where have all the fish gone? Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2010, 22:39

It really is strange. We were on a charter last saturday, 5 of us blanked, best fish just shy of 3lb and only 7 others caught. The Jenson alongside us caught a 12lber though Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ste trish

ste trish

PostSubject: Re: Where have all the fish gone?   Where have all the fish gone? Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2010, 21:33

Hi fellas, i reckon its to do with the shrimp crab and spratts being further out in the bay. The whiting traditionaly move/thin out at this time of year Sad
Back to top Go down
Tim S

Tim S

PostSubject: Fish in the fog   Where have all the fish gone? Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2010, 21:10

Keith I think you had to good a summers fishing, you got spoiled, don't forget we have had that much fresh water in the river the last two weeks or more its washed the little bleeders out of the river. No honestly though it was a grooler just one fish each for Martin and I not a good days fishing ?? the weather didn't help, we had enough trouble with the boat before we set out I didn't think we would make it at first, but Martin eventually sorted it, we only where about one and a half ours late, but better late than never. don't really know where the fish have gone but it will get better Where have all the fish gone? Suspect . Tim.
Back to top Go down
keith g

keith g

PostSubject: Where have all the fish gone?   Where have all the fish gone? Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2010, 13:04

I know its a stupid question, but really, where have all the fish gone? How come 3 boats out of 4 blank in the river one one day? where are the whiting? there was plenty last summer. now we cant even get one insize or undersize! i know the COD do come and go but how can the river be so devoid of fish? i know the whiting were here all last summer, we couldnt get away from them....now they are like rocking horse doo doo...plenty of dabs but nowt else....i just dont understand how it can be so devoid of fish in the Winter when this is usually our best time of the year to fish!!!! any thoughts?
keith confused
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where have all the fish gone?   Where have all the fish gone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where have all the fish gone?
Page 1 of 1