Sefton Sea Anglers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  HomeHome  

New Brighton

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave

Dave

New Brighton Empty
PostSubject: newbrighton slip   New Brighton Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2008, 10:18

would not surprise me phil, any which way they can they will get money off us,a national launch permit would probebly be the best option depending on the cost maybe thats why they scrapped the fishing licence but why should we pay at all the yatchties at newbrighton dont pay so why should any other user
Back to top Go down
Phil Hallsworth

New Brighton Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Brighton   New Brighton Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2008, 07:59

Very true Dave! I have heard recently that there are moves to bring a national launch permit scheme into existence. It would certainly solve our problems of having to pay at each different venue we launch, but whether central government will pull their fingers out is another matter. The cost of a national permit would probably be another sticking point. ( Another indirect tax from this 'so called' working people's party ) I can't remember where I heard it and don't quote me, but I think it was Mr. Jones at the last meeting!
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

New Brighton Empty
PostSubject: newbrighton slip   New Brighton Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2008, 23:38

thanks phil
you more than anyone know the history of the problems facing the small boat angler getting afloat in this country, its bad enough having our city of culture without any known public slipways, despite the fact it boasts such a great maritime history, but the attitude of the wirral council leaves a lot to be desired,we have to pay a yearly fee to the wirral ,we have to pay yearly to the anglesea council, we have to pay yearly to the llynn council, any where we choose to launch brings in its own costs and problems, but talk to people from down south and it seems the local authorities down there have a different attitude to us the rate payer, who pay the wages of these people as after all they are no more no less than public servants, and we are part of the public, maybe its time for the anglers on the wirral to go to the local coucillors surgeries, (usually first sat morn in the month) and make a official complaint about these council employes ,as come the next byelection you can garuntee the councilors and their workers will be after our vote

yours in frustation
dave robo
Back to top Go down
Phil Hallsworth

New Brighton Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Brighton   New Brighton Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2008, 17:14

As you are probably aware, I am the chairman of Wirral Boat angling Club, as well as being a member of Sefton Sea Anglers. On behalf of all small boat anglers, over recent years I have attempted to take the council to task over the slipway, from meetings with the relevant council departments, to trying to get some redress via the Ombudsman, all without success.
In March of this year Wirral Boat Angling Club sent a strong, 4 page letter of complaint to the council over the alleged increase in launch permit fees, along with other issues. At that time the yellow lines were not there. Correspondence bounced back and forth between us and the Department for regeneration (they have the responsibility for the slipways) without any success. Eventually, myself and Andy Lunt (W.B.A.C. secretary) arranged and had a meeting with Jim Lester, the head of the department for regeneration. That meeting took place in March 2008. Our grievances were aired to him. The only thing that he acceeded to was that, under the DEFRA guidlines for Coastal Management, since the introduction of the launch permit scheme, the council had not had any consultation with the user groups. He stated that his department had been lacking in this and he further stated that he would arrange for a round table user group meeting "within a month"
April came and went, then May was nearly over, and we had not heard a word about a user group meeting. We were just about to send another letter of complaint when we freceived word that Mr. Lester had arranged a meeting for 3rd June.
On 3rd June, 2008 myself and Andy Lunt had this meeting with Jim Lester regarding the latest issues with the slipway. This was supposed to be an "All user groups" meeting. However, upon arrival we were the only users present. Mr. Lester was asked by us why no other users were present, and he stated that he had not had the time to contact other user groups. Also present at that meeting were Tony Jones, Head of the lifegurards, and his immediate boss, Roger (his surname escapes me).
Of course since our meeting in March, and this meeting, the yellow lines had been painted, so this became the main topic. Tony Jones stated that the lifeguards had received a strong complaint from the R.N.L.I. regarding the slipway being blocked, and he stated that, as such, they had to do something. He also stated that the council could not tell the emergency services where to launch. It was pointed out that the lines were not statutorily legal, as the slipway was not a public road. The problem is that, even with them not being legally enforceable by law, the lifeguards have taken it upon themselves to issue a warning to transgressors, with a withdrawal of permit rights on a second warning. It was put to Tony Jones that, on a rising tide, in order to secure the boats to the trailers prior to driving up the ramp, cars would have to park in contravention of their yellow lines. All present accepted this, and it was agreed that, if it was not possible to park on the sand due to the incoming tide, then parking on one side of the concrete would be allowed for sufficient time to facilitate lashing the boats to the trailers. A figure of 25 to 30 minutes was mentioned as sufficient time, and agreed.
However, this subject took quite some time to discuss, and other items had to be shelved to a future date. Before the meeting adjourned the next meeting date was fixed for 23rd September, 2008 at 4.30pm, and I assume all other users will be informed and invited to attend.
Some points that I feel are relevant and could be researched prior to this meeting:-
1. Who, from the R.N.L.I. actually sent this strongly worded letter of complaint to the council about parking on the concrete. (It seems strange to me that not 1, but 2 helmsmen from the lifeboat station at New Brighton, are shown as being on the staff of Safe Water Training.
2. Mandatory certification is totally opposed by the R.Y.A. and W.B.A.C. think that the requisite for a level 2 certificate should be removed prior to next year.
3. The situation of the gate being locked and unattended, when there are members of Safe Water Training in the shop should be researched more with a view to the legality and safety.
If anyone can assist in these, or any other relevant topics concerning the slipway, please feel free to contact me. I am unfortunately out of the country from 10th July to 4th September, so I will not be able to do more research into the matters myself prior to the next meeting.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

New Brighton Empty
PostSubject: newbrighton slip   New Brighton Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2008, 10:40

its not just about the yellow lines this is the latest issue the wirral council have created, we where originally promised parking facilities,wash down points, and the ever increasing charges are getting a lot of the users backs up. where the yellow lines have been painted is between low and high water and i do not think the council have durisdiction over that part of the beach if it was for emergency reasons i would be the first person to agree to them
Back to top Go down
Steve Bates

Steve Bates

New Brighton Empty
PostSubject: New Brighton slipway -yellow lines   New Brighton Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2008, 10:05

It is not that simple Charlie.
Firstly the slipway is wide enough for vehicles/boats to pass.
2.The emergency slipway is on the other side of the pumping station.
3. On rising tides the slip is the only place that you can secure your boat to the trailer before attempting to drive up the ramp.Health & Safety is a priority. Also a lot of the sand to the north of the ramp if available is soft. Rocks are to the south.
4.You also have to attach your trailer board before driving up the ramp as there is usually no available parking at the top of the ramp and without it working you would fall foul of the Road Traffic act.

If you wish to discuss please ring me.
Back to top Go down
charlieb

New Brighton Empty
PostSubject: yellow lines   New Brighton Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2008, 22:03

the reason for the yellow on the slip way is to stop people parking on the slipway IT MUST BE KEPT CLEAR FOR EMERGENCY SERVICES ie life boats fire tenders police doctors etc etc comonsense no arguing Twisted Evil Razz
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

New Brighton Empty
PostSubject: New Brighton   New Brighton Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2008, 19:45

Have you seen all the yellow lines on the slipway at newbrighton? Don't know what's going on heard all sorts of rummers. i think may be the traffic wardens have formed their own small boat club and want the slipway all to themselves. Maybe they can get the wash down facilities we where promised when we agreed to stop the legal procedings against wirral council Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Brighton Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Brighton   New Brighton Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Brighton
Page 1 of 1