Sefton Sea Anglers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  HomeHome  

Irish sea conservation zone

Go down 
+4
mark a
daba
keith g
Dave
8 posters
AuthorMessage
expat

expat

Irish sea conservation zone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish sea conservation zone   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2010, 07:36

The "reserves" as they are called here in NZ seem to work well, they are also policed effectively along with recreational anglers daily bag limits and fish sizes. I've seen more fisheries officers here in 2 1/2 years than I've seen in my whole life in the UK. Most people respect the size and bag limits as well as the reserves. Trawlers have a gentlemans aggreement to trawl at least 3km offshore, the only commercials I've seen inshore are cray fishing boats, even the charter skippers "protect" the fisheries by only taking limited number of a particular species ie groper before moving on to another spot. There are 2 reserves within my immediate area, 1 just up the coast at Kapiti (the area looks spot on for fishing) and another on the south coast that only became a reserve after we moved here, I heard the moans from the locals and now the same people appreciate the reserve as a breeding and nursery area for species such as Bluecod, Terakihi and Crayfish. The MOF also recently put a 4 year ban on taking Bluecod from the Marlborough Sounds, now 18 months into it they are considering lifting the ban due to the large numbers of good size fish being caught as by catch by recreational fishers! Just my view from t'other side of the world!
Back to top Go down
Dids

Dids

PostSubject: Irish Sea conservation area   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2010, 23:08

I totally agreed with Dave but it will not happens.Evil or Very Mad
The Conservation areas are very small and not the whole of the north west coast,
Here the link to the proposed North West Coast areas "No Seasearch reports exist from the northwest English coast, so we haven't recommended any sites here - as yet!"affraid
http://www.yourseasyourvoice.com/mpa/?region=7
So I think it is time to get ready to be active and positive. Some area will be out of bound from angling so what, Conservation zones exist already in some European country, in the USA, Australia, New Zealand and people still fished.
If the sea is left with no regulation it maybe that in the future they won't need to to create some No Fishing zone, won't be anything left to fish for.
Is that lady just coming to our club or to all the clubs? If not should we invite to that meeting some representative from the others local club ?
Anyway I will leave it at this till we really know what is going on, on the plus side the Seabass stock in Ireland are recovering thanks to the non commercial fishing zone. Pleasure angling was not stopped.
Cheers
Dids
lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bluetoad.fsnet.co.uk
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Irish sea conservation zone   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2010, 19:46

the way i see it is that if any government body or organization where serious about conservation of our marine environment the first thing they would do was to stop the likes of ici shell and all the other chemical company's dumping their Shiite in our rivers then stop our own inshore trawlers trawling right up the the beach maybe put a 3 mile limit round our coast then stop all foreign trawlers raping our seas then they could get down to serious stuff,i think it would have far more effect than making no go areas so as the twitchers can breed budgies in peace,they could even make square netting on trawlers law,i think there is a lot to be done on marine conservation before we make beaches no go areas for fishing or bait digging
Back to top Go down
keith g

keith g

PostSubject: Re: Irish sea conservation zone   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2010, 13:18

DIds
read it properly,, these sites will be Angling free,,,so how can that be good news? any future marine conservation site will ALSO BE ANGLING FREE!!!!!!!!.. how that is good news beats me? they want nearly the whole of the north west coast as a no take zone,,,,NO TAKE means NO ANGLERS...
Back to top Go down
Dids

Dids

PostSubject: Irish sea conservation area   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2010, 09:38

Have look at this site, Marine Conservation Area, it is supposed to choose the conservation areas of the future and has already pinpoint more than 70 sites around UK for conservation area. If that is correct it isn't all bad news.
http://www.mcsuk.org/
Cheers
Didier Surprised
Back to top Go down
Phil Hallsworth

PostSubject: Re: Irish sea conservation zone   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2010, 23:51

You should not only look at the Irish Sea Conservation site, but you should also look at Natura England web site. It is they who are making the first step. They are trying to bring in a 'Special Protected Area' for this coastline, from the welsh border to the north of Cumbria, then, what water they don't cover will be covered by the Irish Sea Conservation area.
These two government run agencies will tie up the sea throughout the North West of England, and right out to the Irish borders, under the camouflage of bird protection, but as I see it, once these areas are set up, they can then do with them as they wish, and ban anything they wish without the requirement of having to pass another law, or have a public enquiry about it.
And don't be fooled into thinking that they won't.
People said that they couldn't ban fox hunting as there were too many followers and peoples jobs and livelihoods at stake - what happened? FOXHUNTING IS NOW BANNED.!!!!
This government is totally anti-blood sport and if they can find a back door to bring in a law banning fishing THEY WILL !!! It won't matter how many people follow the sport.
Also, to all the ostriches who bury their heads in the sand and let other people do all the hard work for them, a ban could also include bait collecting. That would raise the price of bait to a ridiculous price through scarcity. Not that you'd need bait anyway 'cos you won't have any waters to use it in.

DON'T LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT - FIGHT IT ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Irish sea conservation zone   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2010, 12:56

Steve i agree with you that its no good shouting at heir but she is not just a member she is the north west ad-visor to the governing committee of 40 which is now 42 we have to impress on heir our feelings because we only have one person on the elect committee and he is representing leisure so he is not totally representing the sea angler i think we have already missed the boat and from now on it will be an uphill battle it is about time sea anglers got up off their arses and made there voices heard
Back to top Go down
Dids

Dids

PostSubject: Irish sea conservation zone   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2010, 11:58

I have been on their website to get more information about it. Lots of maybe and if nothing concrete put forward so far. I am sure some conservation areas are a good idea but who will be squeeze out ?
Birds are as important as fish in the ecosystem so I see that some reserves will be base around birds nesting ground which is enevitable i.e Southport/Formby area as well as West Kirby Hilbre island. But will they stopped commercial fishing in these area or all sort of fishing ? I have seen through the year lots of apathie from anglers (sea and coarse) and i don't think it will change untill it is too late unless we can have an organisation with some backbone
How about we prepare a set of questions ready for the next meeting ? That way we could cover as much ground as possible and give a descent feedback for the lady to take back.
Here is the link to the Defra site for selecting Marine Conservation Zone
http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/marine/protected/mcz/guidance.htm

Cheers

Didier Laughing
Back to top Go down
Steve Bates

Steve Bates

PostSubject: Irish Sea Conservation Zone   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2010, 11:21

Wakey-Wakey campers!!!!!!!!!!!

There over 1 Million sea anglers who contribute over 1 Billion pounds to the economy [ Gov't figures 2004] plus all the boat users from the marine/sailing industry.
When are we going to band together and make our voice heard.
We need to make sure that all those in power are aware that we will not entertain any restrictions on our Recreational/leisure/small boat rod fishing. Reason for explanation is that they tend to mix us up with other fishermen [even coarse anglers]. We need to make the Government aware that we are an influential group of voters who demand that our rights to fish are protected.

We need to make sure that the Angling Trust properly represent our interests.

We can start by attending our meeting on the 15th March at 8pm sharp and make the Irish Sea Conservation Zone representative aware of our grave concerns about vested interests and that our views WILL be given due weight in the final document and not watered down. It will be no use shouting at her she is only the messenger but we DO need to make sure she carries our views forward. Please try and be constructive.
Back to top Go down
mark a

mark a

PostSubject: Re: Irish sea conservation zone   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2010, 23:25

very interesting website,takes a lot of careful reading.
Back to top Go down
daba

daba

PostSubject: Re: Irish sea conservation zone   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2010, 21:53

Anybody that wants all the information regarding the Irish sea conservation proposals,and the proposals for other parts of the British Isles, should take a look at the following website:

www.irishseaconservation.org.uk

A real eye opener. Shocked
I'm with Dave on this,I suspect there are hidden agendas within these proposals,which are due for government discussion sometime in 2011. Evil or Very Mad
Noticed the commercial fishing interests are mentioned ,but very little, or any, mention of recreational fishing. Rolling Eyes
I like the bit where it states that other countries will be able to have their say as well.Typical foresight again from this British government. Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Irish sea conservation zone   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2010, 20:25

thanks for the reply Keith,1 reply out of 15 views says it all,ANY WAY THIS IS HOW I SEE IT
for 2 years the European union have been through the British government trying to bring the recreational sea angler into the fishing quota given to Britain by the EEC,and every one agrees that it is imposable to police any policy where a large number of people are involved i.e. the recreational angler coupled with the length of the British coast line (hope that makes sense) so how do they do it ,well try this for size,they introduce a conservation program (we have been asking for one for years) and under the banner of conservation they make a lot of the coast no go areas for fishing in fact what they do is give certain areas to the angler like half a mile on the beach at Brighton 1 mile at Blackpool 1 mile at morecomb and so on right around the coast .the rest of the beaches are designated breeding areas for birds , fish , toads, worms etc ,so no access for the fisherman ,they will probably be about 150 designated areas around the British isles for the angler, then it is very easy to control the fish quotas for the recreational angler because every designated fishing area will be manned by ministry officials this is just my own thoughts maybe I'm mad the wife keeps telling me i am but any fisherman will welcome conservation with open hands, this is the hidden agenda and i bet i am not far off right
Back to top Go down
keith g

keith g

PostSubject: Re: Irish sea conservation zone   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2010, 19:31

Dave
i went to meeting last week at WBAC,, watched the presentation, and its all cut and dried for some poxy birds! anyone who thinks it isnt must be mad....we are having the same presentation at our next meeting,,,dont shoot the people who are delivering the presentation,, they are just pawns in the game...there has been no publicity from the government, surprise there then,, but to me it just co incides with the ban on eels (whcih the Anglimg Trust supported!) our right to fish freely in the open sea is being removed whilst we stand and do nothing as usual..but then again thats not unusual in this club or any other club,,, bury our heads and it will go away,,,,,,this time it wont... these zones will be set up, the commercials will be able to fish (like with the eels) but RSA (RECREATIONAL SEA ANGLERS) wont..
the beach anglers have been ommitted from Article 55. (used to be 47) but us boat owners have not. I signed the petition to stop the commercials fishing for Bass in the south Irish sea and southern Ireland..i wonder how many of this club also did? NONE i suspect....but then again, if people do not know about these things, how can they fight them? I read the angling press and try my best, but not everyone does read the magazines so you cant blame them if they dont know whats going on... we need to stand and fight, but when you have the Angling Trust supposedly on your side how can you? People should watch the presentation and ask questions at the end,,,,that way they will be fully informed of the present state of play regarding the Irish Sea Conservation Zones....let them make their own minds up....this is just my humble opinion, and we are all to blame if we do not fight these proposals...unless we get off our arses and do something about our sport.. it will be gone and you will be licenced no matter what the A.Trust tell you... how many people viewed this thread without responding????? dont leave it to someone else to shout,, try doing something about it yourselves! and for once in your lives, stand up and be counted......tight lines.... Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Irish sea conservation zone   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2010, 11:32

hi all, i went to a meeting at the sands hotel in ainsdale last night about the above,not much to report mainly that i missed most of the meeting dua to the fact i was given the wrong time ,but there was a councilor there and a guy from the north west fisheries ( i think thats right) they both said they had not been informed of anything concerning the conservation zone, they will be having further meeting which i intend attending but this is going to go big the feeling coming back is of hidden agendas i do not think it is about conservation more about control of our rights to fish. our web site is dead at present nobody is posting anything makes me wonder weather its worth the upkeep,come on lets have some activity your comments are vital good or bad keeping quiet is not a good thing lets hear your views, if the thought of loosing your fishing rights can not get people talking on this web then maybe its not worth running
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Irish sea conservation zone   Irish sea conservation zone Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Irish sea conservation zone
Page 1 of 1